Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Update - First real day at sea

February 7th 1:30p local time
First, happy anniversary to Dena's parents, Barb and Mel. 48 years of wedded bliss.

We awoke sometime in the wee hours to a rocking and rolling ship. Dena, the curious soul she is got up, dressed and went up to the lounge to peek outside at 4:00 am. She saw nothing but black, but going up 3 decks was a challenge in these seas so she headed back down to her bunk. We struggled up to the dining area for breakfast and were treated with waves 10' - 15' high although, frankly, that's debatable. They seem much higher and the number of broken glassware attests to that. All the chairs are chained to the dining room floor, there are "lead" ropes strung about to hang onto and the ship's doctor has been busy with falls. I have a little motion sickness but Dena and Arlene seemed to be perfectly fine. Arlene quashed that perception when on her way to the cabin after breakfast she blew chunks. So much so that she blew a hole right through the barf bag. They keep barf bags all over the ship. Fortunately I was not there to see the event.

The seas are not slacking but we are seeing some sunshine in the distance. Arlene is still in bed, hours after the incident and I'm sure she is hoping for calm seas. I'm drinking ginger tea, ginger and carrot soup (a staple at every meal) and sucking back ginger ale like it was going out of style. Today's drink of the day in the bar is the "Horse's Neck"; brandy and ginger ale. Don't ever let anyone tell you that ginger doesn't work on motion sickness.


Joan said...

That's just as I remember it!! Eating was a balancing act and I soon learned where to sit at the table so the food or drink from the person across from me didn't fly over on me. I still remember the apples and oranges rolling on the floor in the dining room and the beer cans rolling around in the lounge. Fortunately, I did not have any kind of motion sickness, but several others in our group were sick for days.

I was really taken aback when I saw all of the chairs chained down, as well as, the piano in the lounge (BIG chains). That should have been a warning of what crossing the Drake Passage would be like. I understand that they have to replace the dinner and glassware after every voyage.

Stay well and enjoy your journey. I look forward to reading more!


Anonymous said...

You don't know how hard I am laughing here. Poor Arlene! *Hang* in there...literally. I can't wait to hear more.