Sunday, February 19, 2006

Day 1 -- Kauai

Today I awoke in Kilauea in a very introspective mood but very much in the Aloha spirit. As we ventured to 3 beaches today I found myself reflecting on my life, past and present. Perhaps Hawaii will do that to you. One thinks of past misteps, past accomplishments, future goals and plans. I was reminded how fleeting life can be as I walked across the sand and my footsteps were washed away as fast as I made them. Is that what my legacy shall be? A life remembered only for a moment....

But enough of that serious stuff....
Our travels today took us to Kilauea Bay Beach. We ran across this one while taking a wrong turn looking for Secret Beach, which apparently still remains a secrect, at least to us. We did discover Larson’s Beach however. A nude/gay/hippie kind of beach on the West shore. There was a hippie couple, she’s pregnant and due any day. She makes lei’s to make a living. She will be giving birth in there makeshift abode on the beach. I find that quite scary considering its a 10 minute up hill hike to the parking area alone.... It was an eclectic beach to be sure with 60’s meeting ancient hawaiian’s fishing with nets to the gay 90’s....

No comments: