Sunday, October 26, 2008

Chicks with Wheels

In the ever ending quest to continue to do new and interesting things last night we ventured out into the truly different. I remember when I was a kid watching Women's Roller Derby. They were rough, tough and fast and it was just plain good fun. There has been a resurgence in women's roller derby over the past couple years and it's back with a vengeance. We saw the LA Derby Dolls last night and was it ever a fun time.

An eclectic crowd to be sure, a mixture of twenty somethings, white trash forty somethings, dikes and rabid fans. Security was provided by a rough looking group of what could only be categorized as ex-gang bangers. Food was provided by Hot Dog on a Stick and beer was available in 16 oz. cans. You can see the demographic catered to here I'm sure.

My verdict? I cannot begin to tell you what a fun time we all had. We really got into it and laughed, hooted and hollered through all 4 quarters. There are 4 quarters in a roller derby. There are penalties and rules and when I was a kid I don't think I knew how complicated the game was. Watching it made me want to strap on a pair of quad wheel skates and some knee pads and get out there and kick some ass. If you ever have an opportunity to see Roller Derby, I highly recommend it. The 2008 championship derby is November 8th - I suggest you get your tickets now!

No comments: