Monday, March 10, 2008

25,000 steps and boy am I tired....

We took Jack and Ruby to Disneyland for there 2007 Hanukkah present yesterday. For fun I took my pedometer with me and from wake up to collapse in bed it was just over 25,000 steps. I took an extra pair of shoes to change into half way thru the day and still my feet were sore. Dena and I passed out in bed the minute we got home at around 10:00 pm. That's a lot of steps..... As most of you know there has been a 10,000 daily step movement on for awhile and generally speaking, 2,000 steps is probably a mile for most people. That means I could have walked 12 miles. On one hand, probably not as most of the steps at Disneyland are smaller stride length but on the other hand, frankly, I don't doubt it...... Most sedentary people and office bound workers get an average of 1,000 to 3,000 steps per day. Certainly not sufficient.

We picked the kids up at 6:30 AM which meant we were up at 5:45. It was also the time change of spring forward this weekend so not only were we up at the ungodly hour of 545 but it was really 4:45 due to the time change. The kids were practically vibrating with excitement all day. We've been to Disneyland a lot this year and every trip is different depending on who you go with. Visiting the park with my in their 60's aunts and mom is a very different experience than going with Grace and Sienna (4 and 1 years old) and Jack and Ruby (10 and 12). With my aunts we only went on 2 rides in the entire 2 parks. With Jack and Ruby we went on so many rides my head and stomach are spinning.

One thing is for certain, the sense of wonder and awe in a child's eyes throughout the day is worth the price of admission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn,

I did a similar amount of steps the other day here in my hometown of Adelaide in South Australia. It makes you feel quite good for a while and for me I lost about 1kg (prob water weight) but I sure was tired at the end. Good on you for doing it though.
Regards
Andrew from South Australia, Australia