Saturday, October 29, 2011

I've Decided to Blog About It


On August 5th, 2011 our world changed.  I struggled with the question of whether to blog about it or not.  On one hand I felt it would be cathartic to write it all down but on the other hand, writing it all down would make it real and I didn’t want it to be real.

Blogging about it or not; it is and was real.  I was diagnosed with uterine cancer.  Only by the thoroughness of my gynecologist and the fact that I actually listened to what my body was telling me was the diagnosis made so early.  The statistics are clear – most uterine cancer appears in post menopausal women – 95%.  It is often diagnosed with Stage 1 as they tend to catch it early.  5% of pre menopausal women contract uterine cancer and it is often not found very early as the first symptom is spotting. Pre menopausal women tend to ignore that.  I’m not particularly happy about being relatively unique and in the small percentile.  The good news is that Stage 1 uterine cancer has a 95% survival rate.

Did you know that 1 in 3 women will have a hysterectomy in their lives?  Those are high odds.  

The cure for Uterine Cancer is a complete hysterectomy.  Quite drastic but true.  I was referred to Dr. Leuchter, a transplanted Canadian who is one of the top gynecological cancer surgeons in California.  He's also top in his field in robotic surgery - a laparoscopic hysterectomy - my goal - as it is a shorter recovery time.

So the next few blogs may be mixed up in their timeline but bear with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your blogging - It helps you put it in perspective; it helps others who, like you, are newly diagnosed and searching for information; and it lets us all in that area of your life where we want to know, but don't want to pry or make you have to retell it for the umpteenth time.

You never cease to impress me.
Blessings Bubelah!!