Thursday, August 18, 2011

Doers versus Dreamers

I am a goal oriented person.  Those that know me can attest to that.  I admit that I am not as good at writing down the map of my goals as I should but I do have short term, mid term and long term goals.  I also am quite terrible at setting personal health and self care goals but am very good at setting goals to move my professional life forward.

I try to practice the age old goal mantra of S - M - A - R - T
S = Specific
M = Measurable
A = Attainable
R = Realistic
T = Timely

I have a to do list - I have a bunch of them actually.  One at home, one at work, even one in the garage.  I LOVE crossing things off my lists.  But - what's on the list?  Are any of the items on the list moving your goals forward or are they just fillers?  Yes, of course, it's important to pay that bill, make that doctor's appointment, get that report out, etc., but you must also add to your list(s) items that move your goals forward.  Each day you should make a step forward - it can be a baby step, but a step nonetheless.

All your goals should have a due date - the M in SMART.  After all - a goal without a due date is just a dream.  I'm not about dreams - I'm about results and the only way to get results is to set goals and break them down into steps.  Some steps may require multiple baby steps to complete, but that's the purpose of writing them down.  When you write a goal down not only do you make it real but you activate an area of your subconscious that will now "chew" on that goal and break it down.  You need to help your subconscious by acting on those steps and again, writing those steps down.

No comments: