Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thoughts of the Holiday Week

The week of American Thanksgiving is once again upon us. It came so fast this year. Isn't it amazing that every year Thanksgiving and Christmas seem to arrive quicker and quicker? Is it a function of our modern, media driven, chaotic world that time seems to flow by us like a raging river? Or is it just a sign of age?

Last night through the driving rain we drove up to Cambria for our annual pilgrimage. I thought I would use that word, pilgrimage, apropos isn't it? I mean really, how often do you get to use that word.....but I digress. For those Canucks reading this blog the U.S. Thanksgiving occurs on the last Thursday of November, always. Most companies, except retail and restaurants are closed on Friday, making for a nice long 4 day weekend.

This morning I awoke to the quiet that is Cambria. I ventured out for a morning stroll and was greeted by hummingbirds, woodpeckers, blue jays and squirrels. It was like a scene from Snow White. As I walked up the hill my thoughts couldn't help but wander to a quieter, simpler time. Why couldn't I live in a place like this? Quiet, peaceful, filled with wildlife and beauty..... Do these thoughts date me? Do thoughts like these happen only to the older crowd? Is city life only for the young?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Give it a day...the feeling will pass. Arzie