Friday, March 16, 2007

Things that happened a long time ago....

It's interesting and disturbing how things that happen a long time ago affect us for the rest of our lives. I was just in Boulder, CO and something that happened to me ~ 10 years ago came up again. I've not told anyone except maybe Dena this story, but I'll share it with you now.

About 10 years ago I was in Calgary, Alberta working on a VoiceMail project for some oil company. I was staying in the Sheraton by the airport. One night I was sleeping and was awakened by noises. I laid there confused as I was just in a dead sleep. I heard loud banging like something was being thrown against a wall. I was still kind of confused. Then I heard a door slam and I heard what I thought was sobbing in the hall. It began to dawn on me that someone was beating this woman. At first I was momentarily stunned and a little at a loss as to what to do. I quickly regained my senses and got up and peeked out the peep hole. I could see nothing but as I had made my way to the door I heard someone open a door and probably pull her back in as the door slammed again.

Shaking, I reached for the phone and called 911. Well, as you can imagine there was a swift response. The hotel front desk was miffed that I didn't tell them first. Yeah right. The cops came and since I could not pin point which room they could do nothing. Sounds come from all over in a hotel and they are hard to tie a direction to. The floor was deathly quiet for the rest of the sleepness night I had. It makes me tear up now just writing this blog. I feel so sorry that my response wasn't quicker for this woman and often wonder what ever became of her and the asshole that was beating her.

Now, sometimes I lie in a hotel room, sounds freak me out. The other night in the Courtyard Marriot in Boulder I heard what I thought was either crying or laughing in the hall. I can assure you I was out of bed in a flash! They were right in front of my door and she was kind of laughing and the man was cooing to her. So, no 911 calls that night.......

No comments: