Monday, March 26, 2007

More on the Shoulder Problem

I had to go back to the Ortho guy today because my Physical Therapy prescription expired. Fortunately, I was in the middle of a self imposed "body" experiment (I do these occasionally) and my shoulder was much worse. If there is something going on with me, I'll often do an experiment, like with the shoulder I abstained from all exercise involving the shoulder for 10 days. The shoulder actually got worse. That led to valuable info for the doctor, he feels its more muscular than joint related. Well, to tell you the truth, I could have told him that. But I was glad to hear it none the less.

So after much discussion we elected to treat the issue from 2 different avenues, as a chronic inflammation in the shoulder joint and as a muscular problem in the pectoral/shoulder region. So, I have 4 more weeks of Physical Therapy and today I had my first cortisone shot. I was fairly freaked out about that whole cortisone shot thing. I thought they were going to come after me with a 14" needle, but it was just a little needle, was actually less painful than when the vultures try to get blood out of my arm, and the shoulder hurts less already. Also, when we discussed that physical inactivity worsens the problem, he said to get out there and play more golf and go to the gym more! WooHoo!!!

Another update will follow in a few weeks, as I'm sure you're dying to know about my health....

No comments: