Saturday, July 02, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow - Part 2



This is a picture of one my watermelon radishes. Quite pretty inside but incredibly spicy on the finish. I had no idea a radish could hold such a wallop.


So I am a complete idiot - I am growing them in the beginning of the heat of summer here. I've been wondering why my second batch went "woody" very quickly. "woody" is a term I just learned from my mom that means the radish is hard inside and tastes like wood. I've just discovered in researching for this blog that these are a winter radish that is normally planted in the fall. So....I guess out they come. I suppose I should research what grows well in hot summer besides tomatoes!

1 comment:

Irma said...

Thanks for the education on cucumbers
- had no idea different types existed. Interesting looking radish!
I love the white (daikon) ones that
I make into sandwiches.