Social Media isn't a fad, it's a fundamental shift in the way we communicate.
- 96% of all Gen Y have a social networking page.
- social media has overtaken porn as the number one Internet activity.
- one out of 8 recently married couples met on social networking sites.
- It took 13 years for TV to hit 50 million households, 4 years for the Internet and only 9 months for Facebook to hit 100 million users and 12 months for 200 million users.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the 3rd largest in the world.
- 80% of companies are using LinkedIn as their primary tool to find employees.
- The fastest growing segment on facebook is the 55-65 year old female
- 80% of twitter usage is on mobile devices, people update anytime, anywhere, imagine what that means for bad customer experiences
- in 2009 Boston College stopped issues email addresses to new students, Gen Y feels email is passe
- YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world.
- Studies show that wikipedia is more accurate than the encyclopedia Britannica.
- 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations.
- Only 33% of 18 - 34 year olds have ever viewed a show on a DVR - they hulu it
Thanks to the youtube video on social revolution for reminding me of the fundamental shift in communication that we are currently living in. If you're looking for a job and you're not on LinkedIn then shame on you. Do you know what wikipedia is? Do you Yelp? Even my hairdresser asked me to review him on Yelp the other day. Where are you in the social revolution? Have you been trying to play catch up, are you right in the thick of it all or have you been left in the dust?