Thursday, October 18, 2007

Stress

What does stress do to you? I've got so many things going on currently in my life that my stress level is astronomical. I'm not sure how I'm even handling it frankly, I think it helps that in the last 45 days I've taken 2 weeks vacation. I'm pretty sure that's whats saving me from a heart attack or a comatose mental breakdown.

The stress is caused by this company merger, new boss, doing multiple jobs, changing everything to do with my job (i.e. health plan, dental, 401k, etc) all the unknowns of this merger. Almost everyday I have stomach issues, often I'm angry and irritable, and I'm definitely not sleeping well and I'm definitely drinking more alcohol. I go to bed exhausted and wake up exhausted. And the aniety dreams! Wow. What am I going to do about it? Who knows? I find that going to the gym helps quite a bit however, I'm working so hard and long that there is often no time for the gym. It seems like an endless cycle that I'm becoming concerned about. For now, I'll just hang in there and hope. We have to have hope right?

Symptoms & Warning Signs of Job Stress
While the causes can be something other than job stress, here are the most common symptoms and early warning signs of job stress and burnout:
Apathy
Negativism/cynicism
Low morale
Boredom
Anxiety
Frustration
Fatigue
Depression
Alienation
Anger/irritability
Physical problems (headaches, stomach problems)
Absenteeism

hmmm, I have 99% of those things......perhaps I should try the last one -- absenteeism......

No comments: